THE PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
Information you provide to us
To establish an account and access our Services, we’ll ask you to provide us with some important information about yourself. This information is either required by law (e.g. to verify your identity), necessary to provide the requested services (e.g. you will need to provide your bank account number if you’d like to link that account to Unbank), or is relevant for certain specified purposes, described in greater detail below. As we add new features and Services, you may be asked to provide additional information.
Please note that we may not be able to serve you as effectively or offer you our Services if you choose not to share certain information with us. Any information you provide to us that is not required is voluntary.
We may collect the following types of information from you:
- Personal Identification Information: Full name, date of birth, nationality, gender, signature, utility bills, photographs, phone number, home address, and/or email.
- Formal Identification Information: Government issued identity document such as Passport, Driver’s License, National Identity Card, State ID Card, Tax ID number, passport number, driver’s license details, national identity card details, visa information, and/or any other information deemed necessary to comply with our legal obligations under financial or anti-money laundering laws.
- Institutional Information: Employer Identification number (or comparable number issued by a government), proof of legal formation (e.g. Articles of Incorporation), personal identification information for all material beneficial owners.
- Financial Information: Bank account information, payment card primary account number (PAN), transaction history, trading data, and/or tax identification.
- Transaction Information: Information about the transactions you make on our Services, such as the name of the recipient, your name, the amount, and/or timestamp.
- Employment Information: Office location, job title, and/or description of role.
- Correspondence: Survey responses, information provided to our support team or user research team.
Information we collect from you automatically
To the extent permitted under the applicable law, we may collect certain types of information automatically, such as whenever you interact with the Sites or use the Services. This information helps us address customer support issues, improve the performance of our Sites and applications, provide you with a streamlined and personalized experience, and protect your account from fraud by detecting unauthorized access. Information collected automatically includes:
- Online Identifiers: Geo location/tracking details, operating system, browser name and version, and/or personal IP addresses.
- Usage Data: Authentication data, security questions, click-stream data, public social networking posts, and other data collected via cookies and similar technologies.
For example, we may automatically receive and record the following information on our server logs:
- How you came to and use the Services;
- Device type and unique device identification numbers;
- Device event information (such as crashes, system activity and hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL);
- How your device interacts with our Sites and Services, including pages accessed and links clicked;
- Broad geographic location (e.g. country or city-level location); and
- Other technical data collected through cookies, pixel tags and other similar technologies that uniquely identify your browser.
We may also use identifiers to recognize you when you access our Sites via an external link, such as a link appearing on a third party site.
Information collected from third parties
From time to time, we may obtain information about you from third party sources as required or permitted by applicable law. These sources may include:
- Public Databases, Credit Bureaus & ID Verification Partners: We obtain information about you from public databases and ID verification partners for purposes of verifying your identity in accordance with applicable law. ID verification partners like World-Check use a combination of government records and publicly available information about you to verify your identity. Such information may include your name, address, job role, public employment profile, credit history, status on any sanctions lists maintained by public authorities, and other relevant data. We obtain such information to comply with our legal obligations, such as anti-money laundering laws. In some cases, we may process additional data about you to assess risk and ensure our Services are not used fraudulently or for other illicit activities. In such instances, processing is necessary for us to continue to perform our contractual obligations with you and others.
- Blockchain Data: We may analyze public blockchain data to ensure parties utilizing our Services are not engaged in illegal or prohibited activity under our Terms, and to analyze transaction trends for research and development purposes.
- Joint Marketing Partners & Resellers: For example, unless prohibited by applicable law, joint marketing partners or resellers may share information about you with us so that we can better understand which of our Services may be of interest to you.
ANONYMIZED AND AGGREGATED DATA
Unbank may use anonymized or aggregate customer data for any business purpose, including to better understand customer needs and behaviors, improve our products and services, conduct business intelligence and marketing, and detect security threats. We may perform our own analytics on anonymized data or enable analytics provided by third parties.
Types of data we may anonymize include, transaction data, click-stream data, performance metrics, and fraud indicators.
HOW YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION IS USED
Our primary purpose in collecting personal information is to provide you with a secure, smooth, efficient, and customized experience. We generally use personal information to create, develop, operate, deliver, and improve our Services, content and advertising; and for loss prevention and anti-fraud purposes.
We may use this information in the following ways:
1) To maintain legal and regulatory compliance
Most of our core Services are subject to laws and regulations requiring us to collect, use, and store your personal information in certain ways. For example, Unbank must identify and verify customers using our Services in order to comply with anti-money laundering laws across jurisdictions. This includes collection and storage of your photo identification. In addition, we use third parties to verify your identity by comparing the personal information you provide against third-party databases and public records. When you seek to link a bank account to your Unbank Account, we may require you to provide additional information which we may use in collaboration with service providers acting on our behalf to verify your identity or address, and/or to manage risk as required under applicable law. If you do not provide personal information required by law, we will have to close your account.
2) To enforce our terms in our user agreement and other agreements
Unbank handles sensitive information, such as your identification and financial data, so it is very important for us and our customers that we actively monitor, investigate, prevent, and mitigate any potentially prohibited or illegal activities, enforce our agreements with third parties, and/or prevent and detect violations of our posted user agreement or agreements for other Services. In addition, we may need to collect fees based on your use of our Services. We collect information about your account usage and closely monitor your interactions with our Services. We may use any of your personal information collected for these purposes. The consequences of not processing your personal information for such purposes is the termination of your account.
3) To detect and prevent fraud and/or funds loss
We process your personal information in order to help detect, prevent, and mitigate fraud and abuse of our services and to protect you against account compromise or funds loss.
4) To provide Unbank ‘s Services
We process your personal information to provide the Services to you. For example, when you want to store funds on our platform, we require certain information such as your identification, contact information, and payment information. We cannot provide you with Services without such information. Third parties such as identity verification services may also access and/or collect your personal information when providing identity verification and/or fraud prevention services.
5) To provide Service communications
We send administrative or account-related information to you to keep you updated about our Services, inform you of relevant security issues or updates, or provide other transaction-related information. Without such communications, you may not be aware of important developments relating to your account that may affect how you can use our Services. You may not opt-out of receiving critical service communications, such as emails or mobile notifications sent for legal or security purposes.
6) To provide customer service
We process your personal information when you contact us to resolve any questions, disputes, collect fees, or to troubleshoot problems. Without processing your personal information for such purposes, we cannot respond to your requests and ensure your uninterrupted use of the Services.
7) To ensure quality control
We process your personal information for quality control and staff training to make sure we continue to provide you with accurate information. If we do not process personal information for quality control purposes, you may experience issues on the Services such as inaccurate transaction records or other interruptions.
8) To ensure network and information security
We process your personal information in order to enhance security, monitor and verify identity or service access, combat spam or other malware or security risks and to comply with applicable security laws and regulations. The threat landscape on the internet is constantly evolving, which makes it more important than ever that we have accurate and up-to-date information about your use of our Services. Without processing your personal information, we may not be able to ensure the security of our Services.
9) For research and development purposes
We process your personal information to better understand the way you use and interact with Unbank’s Services. In addition, we use such information to customise, measure, and improve Unbank’s Services and the content and layout of our website and applications, and to develop new services. Without such processing, we cannot ensure your continued enjoyment of our Services.
10) To enhance your experience
We process your personal information to provide a personalized experience, and implement the preferences you request. For example, you may choose to provide us with access to certain personal information stored by third parties. Without such processing, we may not be able to ensure your continued enjoyment of part or all of our Services.
11) To facilitate corporate acquisitions, mergers, or transactions
We may process any information regarding your account and use of our Services as is necessary in the context of corporate acquisitions, mergers, or other corporate transactions. You have the option of closing your account if you do not wish to have your personal information processed for such purposes.
12) To engage in marketing activities
Based on your communication preferences, we may send you marketing communications (e.g. emails, text message or mobile notifications) to inform you about our events or our partner events; to deliver targeted marketing; and to provide you with promotional offers. Our marketing will be conducted in accordance with your advertising marketing preferences and as permitted by applicable law.
Direct Marketing: Direct marketing includes any communications to you that are only based on advertising or promoting our products and services. We will only contact you by electronic means (email or text message) based on our legitimate interests, as permitted by applicable law, or your consent. To the extent we can rely on legitimate interest under the applicable law, we will only send you information about our Services that are similar to those which were the subject of a previous sale or negotiations of a sale to you. If you are a new customer, we will contact you by electronic means for marketing purposes only if you have consented to such communication. If you do not want us to send you marketing communications, please submit a request via our email@example.com. You may raise such objection with regard to initial or further processing for purposes of direct marketing, at any time and free of charge. Direct marketing includes any communications to you that are only based on advertising or promoting our products and services.
Third Party Marketing: We will obtain your express consent before we share your personal information with any third parties for marketing purposes.
WHY WE SHARE PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH OTHER PARTIES
We take care to allow your personal information to be accessed only by those who require access to perform their tasks and duties, and to share only with third parties who have a legitimate purpose for accessing it. Unbank will never sell or rent your personal information to third parties without your explicit consent. We will only share your information in the following circumstances:
- With third party identity verification services in order to prevent fraud. This allows Unbank to confirm your identity by comparing the information you provide us to public records and other third party databases. These service providers may create derivative data based on your personal information that can be used in connection with the provision of identity verification and fraud prevention services. For example:
- With financial institutions with which we partner to process payments you have authorized.
- With service providers under contract who help with parts of our business operations. Our contracts require these service providers to only use your information in connection with the services they perform for us, and prohibit them from selling your information to anyone else. Examples of the types of service providers we may share personal information with (other than those mentioned above) include:
- Network infrastructure
- Cloud storage
- Payment processing
- Transaction monitoring
- Document repository services
- Customer support
- Internet (e.g. ISPs)
- Data analytics
- Information Technology
- With companies or other entities that we plan to merge with or be acquired by. You will receive prior notice of any change in applicable policies.
- With companies or other entities that purchase Unbank assets pursuant to a court-approved sale or where we are required to share your information pursuant to insolvency law in any applicable jurisdiction.
- With our professional advisors who provide banking, legal, compliance, insurance, accounting, or other consulting services in order to complete third party financial, technical, compliance and legal audits of our operations or otherwise comply with our legal obligations.
- With law enforcement, officials, or other third parties when we are compelled to do so by a subpoena, court order, or similar legal procedure, or when we believe in good faith that the disclosure of personal information is necessary to prevent physical harm or financial loss, to report suspected illegal activity, or to investigate violations of our User Agreement or any other applicable policies.
If you establish a Unbank Account indirectly on a third party website or via a third party application, any information that you enter on that website or application (and not directly on a Unbank website) will be shared with the owner of the third party website or application and your information will be subject to their privacy policies.
THIRD-PARTY SITES AND SERVICES
If you authorize one or more third-party applications to access your Unbank Services, then information you have provided to Unbank may be shared with those third parties. A connection you authorize or enable between your Unbank account and a non-Unbank account, payment instrument, or platform is considered an “account connection.” Unless you provide further permissions, Unbank will not authorize these third parties to use this information for any purpose other than to facilitate your transactions using Unbank Services. Please note that third parties you interact with may have their own privacy policies, and Unbank is not responsible for their operations or their use of data they collect. Information collected by third parties, which may include such things as contact details, financial information, or location data, is governed by their privacy practices and Unbank is not responsible for unauthorized third-party conduct. We encourage you to learn about the privacy practices of those third parties.
Examples of account connections include:
- Merchants: If you use your Unbank account to conduct a transaction with a third party merchant, the merchant may provide data about you and your transaction to us.
- Your Financial Services Providers: For example, if you send us funds from your bank account, your bank will provide us with identifying information in addition to information about your account in order to complete the transaction.
Information that we share with a third-party based on an account connection will be used and disclosed in accordance with the third-party’s privacy practices. Please review the privacy notice of any third-party that will gain access to your personal information. Unbank is not responsible for such third party conduct.
HOW WE PROTECT AND STORE PERSONAL INFORMATION
We understand how important your privacy is, which is why Unbank maintains (and contractually requires third parties it shares your information with to maintain) appropriate physical, technical and administrative safeguards to protect the security and confidentiality of the personal information you entrust to us.
We may store and process all or part of your personal and transactional information, including certain payment information, such as your encrypted bank account and/or routing numbers, in the US and elsewhere in the world where our facilities or our service providers are located. We protect your personal information by maintaining physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards in compliance with the applicable laws and regulations.
For example, we use computer safeguards such as firewalls and data encryption, we enforce physical access controls to our buildings and files, and we authorize access to personal information only for those employees who require it to fulfill their job responsibilities. Full credit card data is securely transferred and hosted off-site by payment providers in compliance with Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards. This information is not accessible to Unbank or Unbank staff.
However, we cannot guarantee that loss, misuse, unauthorized acquisition, or alteration of your data will not occur. Please recognize that you play a vital role in protecting your own personal information. When registering with our Services, it is important to choose a password of sufficient length and complexity, to not reveal this password to any third-parties, and to immediately notify us if you become aware of any unauthorized access to or use of your account.
RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We store your personal information securely throughout the life of your Unbank Account. We will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes for which we collected it, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting obligations or to resolve disputes. While retention requirements vary by jurisdiction, information about our typical retention periods for different aspects of your personal information are described below.
- Personal information collected to comply with our legal obligations under financial or anti-money laundering laws may be retained after account closure for as long as required under such laws.
- Contact Information such as your name, email address and telephone number for marketing purposes is retained on an ongoing basis until you unsubscribe. Thereafter we will add your details to our suppression list to ensure we do not inadvertently market to you.
- Content that you post on our website such as support desk comments, photographs, videos, blog posts, and other content may be kept after you close your account for audit and crime prevention purposes (e.g. to prevent a known fraudulent actor from opening a new account).
- Recording of our telephone calls with you may be kept for a period of up to six years.
- Information collected via technical means such as cookies, webpage counters and other analytics tools is kept for a period of up to one year from expiry of the cookie.
CHILDREN’S PERSONAL INFORMATION
We do not knowingly request to collect personal information from any person under the age of 18. If a user submitting personal information is suspected of being younger than 18 years of age, Unbank will require the user to close his or her account and will not allow the user to continue using our Services. We will also take steps to delete the information as soon as possible. Please notify us if you know of any individuals under the age of 18 using our Services so we can take action to prevent access to our Services.
CROSS BORDER TRANSFERS
To facilitate our global operations, Unbank may transfer, store, and process your information within our family of companies, partners, and service providers based throughout the world, including Ireland, Japan, the UK, the US, the Philippines, and possibly other countries. We contractually obligate recipients of your personal information to agree to at least the same level of privacy safeguards as required under applicable data protection laws. By communicating electronically with Unbank, you acknowledge and agree to your personal information being processed in this way.
If you have a complaint about our privacy practices and our collection, use or disclosure of personal information please submit your request via our Support Portal.
YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS
Depending on applicable law where you reside, you may be able to assert certain rights related to your personal information identified below. If any of the rights listed below are not provided under law for your operating entity or jurisdiction, Unbank has absolute discretion in providing you with those rights.
Your rights to personal information are not absolute. Depending upon the applicable law, access may be denied: (a) when denial of access is required or authorized by law; (b) when granting access would have a negative impact on another’s privacy; (c) to protect our rights and properties; (d) where the request is frivolous or vexatious, or for other reasons.
- Access and portability. You may request that we provide you a copy of your personal information held by us. This information will be provided without undue delay subject to a potential fee associated with gathering of the information (as permitted by law), unless such provision adversely affects the rights and freedoms of others. In certain circumstances, you may request to receive your personal information in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, and to have us transfer your personal information directly to another data controller.
- Rectification of incomplete or inaccurate personal information. You may request us to rectify or update any of your personal information held by Unbank that is inaccurate. You may do this at any time by logging in to your account and clicking the Profile or My Account tab.
- Withdraw consent. To the extent the processing of your personal information is based on your consent, you may withdraw your consent at any time. Your withdrawal will not affect the lawfulness of Unbank’s processing based on consent before your withdrawal.
- Restriction of processing. In some jurisdictions, applicable law may give you the right to restrict or object to us processing your personal information under certain circumstances. We may continue to process your personal information if it is necessary for the defense of legal claims, or for any other exceptions permitted by applicable law.
- Automated individual decision-making, including profiling. Unbank relies on automated tools to help determine whether a transaction or a customer account presents a fraud or legal risk. In some jurisdictions, you have the right not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated processing of your personal information, including profiling, which produces legal or similarly significant effects on you, save for the exceptions applicable under relevant data protection laws.
How to make a privacy request
You can make privacy rights requests relating to your personal information by contacting us via our firstname.lastname@example.org. Our Privacy Rights Dashboard also allows you to set your communication preferences and make individual rights requests relating to your personal information. We may take steps to verify your identity before complying with the request to protect your privacy and security.
How to lodge a complaint
If you believe that we have infringed your rights, we encourage you may contact the Unbank Data Protection Officer at contact@Unbank.com.